Sports in Brief

Football

p. Mike Tomlin, ’95, a former three-year varsity starter at the College, was named head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers last week. While Tomlin excelled on the field, accumulating 2,053 yards as a wide receiver — including 20 touchdowns — it was clear that his calling was on the sidelines as a coach. Upon graduating from the College, he worked for a number of small schools before landing the job as defensive backs coach at the University of Cincinnati in 1999. Two years later, Tomlin earned his first coaching job in the pro ranks when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers hired him as their defensive backs coach. He won a Super Bowl ring with the Bucs in 2003. In 2006, the Minnesota Vikings hired Tomlin as their defensive coordinator. After an extremely successful season that saw Tomlin transform the Viking defense into the league’s most efficient run-stoppers, he interviewed for the head coaching job at Pittsburgh and Miami, ultimately being hired by the Steelers. At 34 years old, Tomlin stands as the second-youngest head coach of any major sports franchise in America.

p. 2004 Walter Payton Award winner Lang Campbell ’05 signed with the Cleveland Browns for the last week of the NFL season. Campbell, whose 2004 All-American season led the Tribe within one game of the Division I-AA championship, was invited to Cleveland’s training camp the last two years but failed to make the team. Campbell’s signing makes him the sixth former Tribe player to currently hold a place on an NFL roster.

p. Basketball

p. Adam Hess (’04) was voted to the starting lineup of Germany’s Budesliga All-Star game. Hess averages 20.7 points per game, tops in the Budesliga and has led his team, the Artland Dragons, to a 10-5 record midway through the season. The 6’7’’ forward received 29 percent of over 40,000 All-Star votes cast in his first season playing for Artland. After attending Eastern Michigan University as a freshman, Hess transferred to the College, where he went on to become the Tribe’s sixth-most prolific scorer, averaging 17.6 ppg, and placed 10th on the College’s all-time points scored list.

p. Field Hockey

p. Gina Cimarelli’s postseason accolades continue to grow as the senior forward has been awarded second-team All-State and second team All-Region honors to go with her first team All-CAA selection. Cimarelli led the Tribe with 21 points while finishing fifth in the CAA with seven assists and fourth in the conference in game-winning goals. Her selection to the Virginia Sports Information Directors’ All-State team is the 18th in school history, while her selection to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association All-South Region team marks the 58th time a woman from the College has made the team.

Previous articleBox Scores
Next articleMen’s tennis goes 2-2 in first week