SA ok’s bill to beautify swamp

|

February 3, 2007

The Student Assembly held its first meeting of the semester Tuesday night. Sen. Joe Luppino-Esposito, a junior, presided over the meeting for the first time as Senate chair. He shares chairmanship with Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, a senior, who served as chair last semester.

p. Senior Victor Sulkowski stepped down from his senate position for personal reasons and was replaced by senior James Evans, who was sworn in at the meeting.

p. Evans has spent the past few years working with the SA.

p. “Even though I only have two and a half months, I hope I can knock some sense into the senate,” he said.

p. The SA passed the Campus Wetlands Reclamation Act, sponsored by Sens. Zach Pilchen and Walter McClean, both sophomores. The bill allocates $892.50 from the consolidated reserve fund to purchase paludal Virginian wildflowers to be planted in and around the swamp behind the Health Center. The purpose of the plants is to beautify the land, cut down on the swamp’s odor and enhance the biodiversity of the area.

p. “We want to take the swamp and turn it into something not smelly or hideous-looking,” McClean said. “It’s good for the campus and good for the wildlife area.”

p. The SA also passed the Constitutional Committee Review Act, the Coalition of Youth Political Organizations Act and confirmed members to the review board and executive positions.

College, RBC unveil program aimed at helping low-income students transfer more easily
Power outage, Boutetourt Complex evacuation costs College $63,000
Best of the Burg: Best Scenery