Sports in Brief

**Football**

p. Head Coach Jimmye Laycock announced Wednesday that 16 players — 15 high school seniors and one college transfer — signed letters of intent to play Tribe football. The recruiting class features players from nine different states, with six athletes hailing from Virginia. The lone transfer, defensive back Robert Livingston, is coming to Williamsburg from Western Michigan University, where he was a reserve defensive back last year after redshirting the previous season. The class features eight linemen, several players who figure to fit in at the skill positions of wide receiver and running back, as well as a few who will be looked upon to contribute at linebacker and defensive back. The class features one quarterback, Terrance Schmand of Buffalo, N.Y.

**Women’s Tennis**

p. The Tribe cracked the top 25 of the Fila/ITA Rankings, coming in at no. 25. They began the season ranked 26th in the nation, but moved up a spot after knocking off the University of Virginia, the previous no. 25, by a score of 5-2 Jan. 28. The College will put their new ranking on the line this weekend as they compete in a three-game road swing, taking on the University of Illinois and no. 1-ranked Georgia Tech in Champaign, Ill., and then traveling to West Lafayette, Ind. to challenge the 35th-ranked Boilermakers of Purdue University.