Tribe hands Maryland first loss

This Valentine’s Day at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center, the women’s tennis team reigned victorious once again. They continued their undefeated season (6-0 overall) by handing the University of Maryland its first loss of the season. The Terps now hold a record of 6-1. This marked the third straight ranked opponent the Tribe has beaten.

p. The Tribe began the competition by winning all three doubles matches. The no. 1 nationally-ranked duo of senior Megan Moulton-Levy and sophomore Katarina Zoricic won their match 8-6. The freshman team of Ragini Acharya and Magdalena Bresson were also triumphant, winning their match 8-3, showing once again why the Tribe’s freshman class was ranked second in the nation. At the third position, sophomore Barbara Zidek and freshman Lauren Sabacinski completed the sweep with an 8-4 win.

p. Bresson won her singles match in 40 minutes, with a 6-0, 6-1 set victory at the fifth position. Acharva followed suit, winning her match 7-5, 6-0 against Maryland’s Michal Amir at the third position. Zidek was successful in fourth position, forcing her opponent, Elyse Steiner, to retire. Zidek was up, having won the first set 6-3 and tying at 4-4 in the second set. Sabacinski won the sixth position match against the Terps’ Lisa Miller. The score of the match was 6-4, 6-2, a solid win for Sabacinski.

p. The first and second positions were both defeats for the Tribe. In the second singles match, Moulton-Levy, ranked fifth nationally, faced unranked Maryland player Eleanor Peters. Peters defeated Moulton-Levy 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10). The next Tribe defeat came from first position Zoricic, who is ranked 59th. Zoricic was defeated by Marianne Baker, seeded 75th nationally.

p. The women jumped to no. 12 in the FILA/ITA Division I rankings Feb. 13 from their previous spot at no. 25, largely on the strength of their 4-3 victory over then-no. 1 Georgia Tech.

p. The Tribe looks forward to its next match today at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center, where they will face Marshall University. The Tribe will be Marshall’s highest-ranked opponent yet this season. The College is undefeated in its previous five meetings with the Herd. The match is scheduled for 5 p.m.