Largest Greek philanthropy branches out

Starting 9 a.m. this Saturday, tee times will stand as invitation for intriguingly dressed teams of tennis ball golfers to spread out about campus, equipped with clubs and costumes. Returning for its 12th year, Kappa Delta’s Campus Golf will be even bigger than in years past.

p. Following tradition, a KD sister will caddy teams of four or more students, leading them through a nine-hole course. This year, a fourth course will be added to the route near Chandler and Landrum Halls. Registered teams will be assigned tee times running from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. and are encouraged to wear costumes, as prizes will be offered for both participation and dress. Last year’s golfers displayed an array of themes, from “The Wizard of Oz” to cowboys and Indians.

p. Prospective golfers can register in the University Center during lunch and dinner time until tomorrow. For the $10 registration fee, each participant will also receive a T-shirt.

p. As KD Campus Golf Chair and sophomore Laura Sauvain said, even those not among the over 300 teams that participate will undoubtedly feel the game’s presence this Saturday. “It’s open to all of campus — you can’t miss it. Music blares the whole day, and tennis balls fly over your head as you walk to lunch,” Sauvain said.

p. By making their way through the course, participants will contribute to two charities: one national and one local. Prevent Child Abuse America, KD’s national charity, works to raise awareness for the prevention of abuse and neglect of America’s children through local initiatives as well as promotoing and strengthening familly and community values. Locally, Campus Golf’s profits benefit Williamsburg’s Avalon, a center for abused women and children. The charity’s goal is to intervene and reduce domestic violence and sexual assault by offering shelter and support to victims.

p. Last year, despite snow and cold, over 1,000 participated, including College President Gene Nichol and Vice President for Student Affairs Sam Sadler. Overall, KD raised over $12,500, 20 percent of which went to Prevent Child Abuse. The remaining funds went to Avalon.

p. Campus Golf began as a “shamrock event,” a required annual philanthropy, but has blossomed into the largest Greek philanthropy on campus. “Campus Golf is one of the most popular philanthropies on campus. It is extremely well known by all of campus,” Sauvain said.

p. With an additional course, KD hopes to cover more ground on campus, accommodate more golfers, and raise more funds for both local and national charities.