No. 19 Broncos serve up defeat

The men’s tennis team faced off against no. 19 Boise State University Sunday in Williamsburg. Currently ranked no. 75 in the nation, the Tribe put up a good fight but lost 2-5 to the visiting Broncos.

p. Junior Alex Cojanu and freshman Keziel Juneau were the only Tribe doubles team to win their set, coming out on top with an 8-2 final score. Boise State won the other doubles set, giving them the 1-0 cushion in the match. Tribe freshman Richard Wardell was the first to lose his sets in singles play, 4-6, 1-6.

p. Sophomore Alex Zuck followed up defeating his Boise State opponent with a decisive 6-2, 6-1 score. Another victory went to Boise State over sophomore Marwan Ramadan, but Juneau followed up with a three-set match ending in a 7-6, 2-6, 6-1 defeat of his opponent. Both Cojanu and senior Colin O’Brien lost both of their singles matches, giving Boise State the overall win.

p. Two matches were scheduled for Sunday, but the second, against CAA foe George Mason University, was postponed. The nationally-ranked Tribe team, with O’Brien ranked no. 75 in singles and O’Brien and Cojanu ranked no. 34 in doubles play, will return to action against the University of Maryland this Saturday to take on the Terrapins.

Previous articleSports in brief
Next articlePitching lifts Tribe past UMBC