News in Brief (March 6)

**More information released about police station shooting**

The Daily Press reported that the woman fatally shot in the parking lot of the Williamsburg police station was identified as 57-year-old Terry S. Frazier. Police investigators believe the death was a suicide. Beside Frazier’s body the police found a .38 caliber handgun and a note that said she came to the station because she believed the police would know how to handle the situation. The note directed investigators to her room at the Williamsburg Lodge. Frazier had moved into the room at the lodge in December.

p. **College alum pleads guilty in Abramoff corruption case**

p. The Washington Post reported that William Heaton, 28, a graduate of the College and previous chief of staff to Rep. Robert Ney (R-Ohio) pleaded guilty to corruption charges. He also pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy. The charges included accepting gifts, gambling chips and multiple trips, including an expense-paid junket to Scotland with his boss from former lobbyist Jack Abramoff. He admitted to conspiring with Ney to accept bribes in exchange for actions that would have benefited Abramoff’s clients.

p. Heaton told the court that Ney kept some $5,000 in British pounds that he had received from Abramoff in a safe in his congressional office. Heaton is the ninth person to be convicted in the Abramoff investigation.