Baseball: Sexton knocks out VMI in 9th inning

__Senior third baseman’s two-RBI triple keys victory__

Looking to rebound from their 15-3 loss against the University of Maryland the day before, the Tribe battled Virginia Military Institute Wednesday at Plumeri Park, earning a 4-3 victory thanks to some late-inning heroics from senior third baseman Greg Sexton. Junior left fielder Greg Maliniak and senior second baseman Brent McWhorter also put together solid performances at the plate, going 3-for-4 on the day.

p. The College got on the board first in the bottom of the third, as junior designated hitter Tim Park doubled to right center and McWhorter reached first on a bunt to third base and then stole second. Sexton then tallied one of his three RBIs on a sacrifice fly to score Park.

p. VMI totaled three runs in the fifth but the Tribe responded in the sixth as Maliniak singled and worked his way around the bases, finally scoring on a wild pitch.

p. The Tribe entered the bottom of the ninth down 3-2, but Park sparked what would be the game-winning rally with a lead-off single through the left side. With sophomore Jeff Jones pinch running for Park, McWhorter singled to right field and Jones advanced to third. Sexton stepped up to the plate and smashed a triple to center field, plating McWhorter and Jones and winning the game for the College.

p. Senior Warrik Staines (1-0) earned the victory in relief. In Tuesday’s loss to Maryland, Park went 2-for-3 at the plate while McWhorter, sophomore first baseman Mike Sheridan, and sophomore center fielder Ben Guez were all 1-for-3. Sheridan finished with two RBI and Maliniak recorded one. Freshman starting pitcher Tyler Truxell was chased after four and two thirds innings and suffered the loss.