Men’s Tennis: Ramadan puts Tribe over top in upset win

__Sophomore’s come-from-behind singles win deciding factor__

The Tribe ended 23rd-ranked Old Dominion University’s nine-match winning streak Tuesday, coming from behind to clinch a 4-3 victory against their CAA foe in a match that lasted over five hours. The College’s victory over ODU marked the eighth time this season the Tribe has defeated a ranked opponent. The win improved the College’s record to 15-9 on the season.

p. “Old Dominion is very deserving of its ranking,” head coach Peter Daub said. “They were a class team that battled their butts off, as did we. We were exceptionally fortunate to come out one point better.”

p. The College took an early advantage over ODU, earning the doubles point after winning two of the three doubles matches. Junior Kavi Sud and sophomore Alex Zuck won their match 8-5, while junior Alex Cojanu and freshman Keziel Juneau, ranked 42nd in the nation, upset the 16th-ranked team of Harel Srugo and Henrique Cancado 8-6.

p. ODU pulled ahead shortly after beginning singles play, winning the first two matches to take a 2-1 lead. Sud tied the match with his 6-4, 6-2 victory at the six spot, putting the pressure on the remaining three matches still in play. Cojanu continued his streak of upsets when he handed Cancado, ranked 25th in singles, his second loss of the evening, 6-1, 4-6, 7-5.

p. Senior Colin O’Brien fought hard at the number one slot, but the 100th-ranked O’Brien fell just short against ODU’s 18th ranked Srugo 2-6, 6-2, 3-6. With the score tied at 3-3, the match was now either team’s win as sophomore Marwan Ramadan was still battling Rodrigo Souza at the number five position. With all the attention now focused on this court, spectators watched as the first set went in ODU’s favor, with Souza edging Ramadan in a tiebreaker 8-6. Ramadan answered by taking the second set to force a final set for the match.

p. At one point the third set was tied at five games each, but Ramadan surged ahead, taking the final two games to earn a 6-7(6), 6-4, 7-5 victory, clinching the College’s upset win.

p. The Tribe returns to action Saturday, April 14, hosting CAA opponent no. 31 Virginia Commonwealth University on the Busch Courts.