This week in Flat Hat History (April 20)

**1930**
    The College announced construction of Brown Hall. The College planned on naming the residence hall after its primary donor, Mrs. Edward Brown. Brown Hall was to be an all-girls dormitory housing 78 students with rooms for a matron and a Bible teacher.

p. **1963**
    Twelve College students competed for the title of Miss Williamsburg in a pageant held at James Blair High School. For the competition, the girls were asked questions, appeared in swim and formalwear and had to showcase a talent. The winner would go on to compete in the Miss Virginia Pageant in Roanoke.

p. **1971**
    Two College students and a faculty member were arrested for passing out leaflets at the Williamsburg Shopping Center. They were handing out leaflets for the April 24 anti-Vietnam War march on Washington. One of the arrested students told The Flat Hat that he believed that the arrests and pending trial were politically motivated.

p. **1981**
    Due to unprecedented energy costs, the College found itself in a $300,000 budget deficit. The College’s total energy bill was estimated to be $3.5 million. In order to decrease the amount, the College took drastic steps to cover the deficit by June 30, the end of the fiscal year. Travel and supply spending was cut, new professors were not hired and overtime had to be approved.