Lacrosse: Tribe bests JMU in double OT

__Seniors lead College to first conference win of the season__

p. On senior day at Albert-Daly Field, the women’s lacrosse team shocked 9th-ranked James Madison University 10-9 in double overtime. The Dukes came into the match undefeated in the CAA, while the Tribe entered the game winless in the conference.

p. It was fitting that two seniors combined for the game-winning goal in the waning minutes of their final home game. Emily Vitrano fed Jamie Fitzgerald whose shot bounced off the right post and snuck past JMU goalie Kelly Wetzel with 1:14 remaining in the second overtime period. The win ended the College’s eight-game losing streak, as the Tribe improved to 3-12 overall and 1-5 in the CAA on the season.

p. After falling behind 6-3 at the end of the first half, the College came out of halftime energized, scoring three unanswered goals to knot the game at 6-6. The teams traded scores until senior Kristen Wong’s second goal gave the Tribe a 9-8 lead with 5:51 remaining.

p. Just over a minute later, JMU’s Annie Wagner tied the game at nine with her second goal. The game stayed scoreless throughout the remainder of regulation and the first overtime period. Freshman Sara Beckstead kept the College in the game with her eight saves including one late in the opening period of the first overtime.

p. The Tribe seniors carried the College to victory behind six goals and four assists from Fitzgerald (three goals, one assist), Wong (two goals, two goals) and Vitrano (one goal, one assist). Junior Jaime Sellers contributed a hat-trick for the Tribe, and freshman Katie Rees also scored.

p. The Tribe finishes its 2007 season tomorrow at 4 p.m. when it travels to Norfolk to face Old Dominion University.