Chemical spill temporarily closes Campus Center

Written by

|

September 18, 2007

12:16 PM

p. Four dining services employees were taken to the Williamsburg Sentara hospital this morning due to a chemical spill in the Marketplace around 9:30 a.m. that led to the evacuation of the Campus Center. Authorities determined that a cleaning solvent used in the Marketplace was making employees sick.

p. Brian Whitson, the College’s Director of News Services, said 50 to 60 people were inside the Marketplace at the time of the evacuation. Police and fire crews ventilated the building, and Hazmat officials tested the air quality and chemicals.

p. Hazmat judged the building safe, and the Campus Center reopened around 11:30 a.m.

p. Phone calls, e-mails and text messages went out to students signed up for the College’s new emergency alert system. The messages alerted students of the incident and informed them that the Marketplace was closed.

Share This Article

Related News

College’s Washington Center to host class co-taught by former FBI Director James Comey ’82
College, RBC unveil program aimed at helping low-income students transfer more easily
Power outage, Boutetourt Complex evacuation costs College $63,000

About Author

Leave A Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *