New Town opens doors with discounts

With new stores and eateries continuously opening, New Town is a changing, and increasingly welcoming place for College students and faculty to go, spend money and have fun. This Thursday, the stores of New Town will open their doors specifically for students during William and Mary Night at New Town. The night’s festivities feature discounts at numerous stores, extended hours, various giveaways, free samples and a live band performance.

p. “William and Mary Night at New Town promises to be a great evening,” Sam Sadler, vice president for Student Affairs said. “What’s not to like about live music, prizes and discounts offered in a street party environment? And there is so much available at New Town now that wasn’t there a year ago. This special program the merchants there have put together will be a fun way to learn what this fast-growing area on the edge of our campus has to offer.”

p. The night will begin at 7 p.m. and continue until 12:30 a.m. There will be shuttle buses running from the University Center, as well as on the regular Green and Gold route via the Williamsburg Area Transit system, taking students around campus and into New Town.

p. Snackbar Jones, a band based out of Virginia Beach, will perform on Main Street from 8 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. “[Snackbar Jones has] played for us a couple times at Night at the Rec and Convocation,” Mark Constantine, assistant vice president for Student Affairs, said. “We just wanted someone to bring attention to [the events and activities].”

p. All students from the College in attendance will receive raffle tickets for numerous door prizes, including two bikes, various gift certificates and movie passes. Victoria’s Secret and Barnes & Noble have donated gift certificates for the raffle. In addition, stores will offer special deals to students with their student ID.
    The Corner Pocket is offering half-price pool games to all students from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. “We always do it every Monday night, so we just thought we would do it Thursday. We like to be part of the College,” Lynn Allison, owner of The Corner Pocket said. “We have had a great relationship with the students.”

p. Students will also receive a discount at various restaurants in New Town. At Buon Amici, students will be able to buy one slice of pizza and get another free from 5 p.m. to 12 a.m. California Tortilla is offering students free chips and queso. For a sweet treat to end the night, students can take advantage of a 10 percent discount at Ben & Jerry’s or an even greater student deal at Maggie Moo’s. “We are doing a 20 percent discount for all William & Mary students,” Young Choi, owner of Maggie Moo’s said. “We are having an outdoor sale with an outside cart. We have a cow costume … [so] a cow will be walking around New Town.”

p. Free prizes and discounted food will likely be tempting for students. “I heard about the discounts and I was there,” Marissa Bonhomme ’10 said. “New Town is awesome. This is just an excuse for me to go. I am excited for it.”

p. The event is meant to bring students into New Town and show everyone all the new changes there. It also hopes tp build a connection between New Town and the College.

p. “All the stores will hopefully be dressed up in green and gold … making everything festive,” Constantine said.