Women’s Tennis: Acharya takes third place in singles

__Sophomore leads Tribe competitors at William and Mary Invitational__

This weekend the women’s tennis team hosted the 15th Annual William and Mary Invitational, featuring individuals from 13 teams from across the country. Eight of the 13 schools were ranked in the final Fila/ITA top-75 rankings of 2007, including regional foes Duke University, Virginia Commonwealth University and the University of Virginia, among others.

p. Friday, the Tribe advanced players to the semifinals in both the singles and doubles brackets. Sophomore Ragini Acharya went onto the semifinals of the Flight A singles while junior Klaudyna Kasztelaniec moved into the semifinals in the Flight B singles bracket. The Tribe excelled in the Flight C singles bracket when both sophomores Magdalena Bresson and Lauren Sabacinski advanced to the semifinals.

p. The Tribe began doubles play Saturday. In the Flight A Doubles, the duo of Acharya and junior Katarina Zoricic fell 8-6 to Kosminskaya and Koulbitskaya from the University of Pennsylvania. In the winner’s consolation bracket, Acharya and Zoricic of the College defeated Stevens and Rales from U.Va. 8-6. In the Flight B Doubles bracket, the duo of Kasztelaniec and Zidek bested Nimitz and Downing from U.Va. 8-3.

p. During the semifinals, Riveliz and Anismova from Penn defeated Kasztelaniec and Zidek 8-5. In the Flight C Doubles the Tribe duo of Bresson and Sabacinski defeated MacKeever and Miller from Maryland 8-4. The College took the first place spot in the Flight C Doubles bracket with Bresson and Sabacinski beating Kardhordo and Arana from the University of Richmond 8-3. In the Flight A Singles bracket, Acharya lost in the semifinals to Marshall’s Schmitt 6-2, 6-4, and Zoricic fell in a tough match to Melissa Sainotz of Princeton 4-6, 7-5 and 10-5. Flight B Singles semifinals saw Kasztelaniec defeat top-seeded Rivelis from Penn 6-3, 6-4. In Flight C Singles Bresson defeated Rales of U.Va. in the semifinals, while Sabacinski of the Tribe defeated Costa of Old Dominion University 6-3, 1-0 (retired). In Flight D Singles, Zidek lost to Attwell of Boston College 6-3, 6-3.

p. Sunday, the Tribe took fifth place in the Flight A Doubles bracket with Acharya and Zoricic defeating Yahner and Pereira of U.Va. 8-2. The Tribe duo of Kasztelaniec and Zidek lost 9-8 (5) to Plotkin and Zawacki of Duke in the third place match for Flight B Doubles. In the Flight A Singles bracket, Tribe player Acharya took third place, defeating Kosminskaya of Penn. While in Flight B Singles, the No. 2 seed Zsilinszka of Duke defeated Kasztelaniec 6-1, 6-2.

p. The College continues its fall season this weekend when it participates in the U.Va. Fall Invitational.