Women’s Soccer:: Tribe remains unbeaten in CAA; downs Hofstra

The women’s soccer team recorded a 2-0 win over Hofstra University and a 0-0 draw to Northeastern University in two games on the road over the weekend. The College’s weekend performance moved the Tribe to 8-3-1 (3-0-1 in CAA) thus far.
In Sunday’s matinee with the Northeastern Huskies, the Tribe had 28 shots to Northeastern’s seven and a 7-3 advantage in corner kicks; however, the College could not capitalize on its advantage. With neither team scoring, the game went to two overtime periods before ending in a 0-0 tie. The Tribe brought a lot of pressure in the second half, outshooting Northeastern 15-1, but the attempts could not get past Northeastern’s goalkeeper Annie Petrofsky.

p. Despite little offensive production, College junior goalkeeper Meghan Walker had another impressive performance, earning her sixth shutout this season.

p. “It’s always hard to stay focused when there is little action out there, but I just made sure I maintained my concentration because there is always that one moment when they can break through,” Walker said.

p. Junior forward Claire Zimmeck led the team with seven shots, and junior Danielle Collins and sophomore Sarah Quinlan tallied four tries each.

p. Prior to facing the Huskies, the College headed to Hempstead, N.Y. Friday to take on the Hofstra Pride. Reigning CAA Player of the Week Zimmeck continued her dominance, scoring two goals in the second half to beat the Pride. After a slow first half, Zimmeck provided the spark for the Tribe, recovering a loose ball close to the goal before scoring in the 53rd minute. Her shot from six yards out glanced off the underside of the crossbar before finding the net.

p. “Claire had an awkward angle and it looked like she had no chance of scoring, so when she did it turned the game around and got us all fired up,” Walker said.

p. Zimmeck kept up the intensity and tallied another goal less than three minutes later. Sophomore Krissy Vornadore found Zimmeck downfield after intercepting a Hofstra throw-in, and Zimmeck capitalized, scoring from the top of the box. Her shot found the lower left corner, giving her a team-high nine goals in the last nine games.

p. Walker also had a fine performance, stopping the Pride’s eight shots to record another shutout. The weekend shutouts give her a goals-against average of 0.49 goals on the season and give the Tribe a total of eight shutouts.

p. The College continues its conference road swing Friday at 7 p.m. when it travels to Harrisonburg, Va. to meet James Madison Univeristy.