No new logo at homecoming, Sadler says

p. Vice President for Student Affairs Sam Sadler told The Flat Hat Thursday that the Tribe’s new logo will not be ready to be unveiled by homecoming, citing trademark and other issues.

p. Sadler, who is the chair of the logo committee, did say, however, that the committee has decided on a logo and passed its result along to College President Gene Nichol.

p. “The committee completed its work on the logo and submitted its recommendations to the president,” Sadler said in an e-mail. He went on to describe Nichol as being “enthusiastic about the results.”

p. Athletics Director Terry Driscoll, who is also a member of the logo committee, said that, in addition to trademark issues, there were some issues involving contracts with apparel vendors that must also be sorted out prior to the logo’s release.

p. Sadler had told The Flat Hat in September that the logo committee’s aim was to have the logo unveiled at homecoming. He offered the following explanation for why the logo is not ready to be unveiled:

p. “There are a number of technical and trademark issues that need to be resolved before [the committee’s decision] can be made public,” Sadler said. “It is important that those matters be addressed before the rollout. Work has already begun on them.”

p. Sadler could give no firm date for when the new logo will be unveiled to the public.

p. “I honestly don’t know how long it will take to do what must be done,” Sadler said.