Through the CAA fire: Keys to the Game

**When the Tribe has the ball**

**Play within the offense**

p. The College is at its best when it moves the ball and moves without the ball. The 24 first-half points against JMU attest to the fact that when the Tribe forces the action and plays to an opponent’s tempo, it results in poor shot selection and low offensive production. When the College plays within its offense by creating open looks with passing and cutting, it flourishes. The Tribe netted 46 second-half points against JMU, thanks in large part to the fact that the team settled into the offense.

p. **Get to the free throw line**

p. The Tribe’s rematch with ODU reaffirmed the College’s need for free throw attempts. Against the Monarchs, the Tribe attempted six free throws — well below its season average of roughly 18 per contest. The College has several players who can get to the line, including David Schneider, the CAA’s top free throw shooter. Earning trips to the free throw line will allow the Tribe to slow the game down and create scoring chances.

p. **When UNCW has the ball**

p. **Disrupt Carter**

p. The Seahawks’ fifth-year senior makes them go. With T.J. Carter out last year due to injury, UNCW limped its way to a 7-22 record in Head Coach Benny Moss’s first year. This season, Carter leads the team in both points and assists, catalyzing the CAA’s second-highest scoring team. Against ODU Wednesday, Carter’s 25 points paced the Seahawks as they rallied from 15 down for the win. Limiting Carter will disrupt UNCW’s offensive flow.

**Deflections**
p. UNCW finds itself in the upper-third of the conference in turnovers per game and ranks second-to-last in assist-to-turnover ratio. It will be important for the Tribe to get into the passing lanes, deflect passes and disrupt the Seahawk offense. Employing a half court trap and extending its 1-3-1 zone will give the College opportunities to force turnovers and possibly get a few easy transition baskets.