College sees more apps

__6.2 percent more students apply to the College than in 2007__

p. The College has received more undergraduate applications than ever — more than 11,500, resulting in a 6.2 percent increase from last year.

p. Fifteen percent more in-state students submitted applications.
    These numbers were previously reported but have now been officially released by the College as of Feb. 1.

p. This is the third year in a row that the College has topped its previous year’s numbers. Last year the College received 10,850 — a 1.7 percent increase from 2006, which saw 10,670 applications.

p. Applications from black, Asian, Hispanic and American Indian students rose 16.4 percent this year. Within this group, there was an 18.8 percent increase in applications from in-state students and 14 percent increase from out-of-state students.

p. Dean of Admissions Henry Broaddus estimated in a Jan. 27 Flat Hat article that 11,400 applied to the College, which would result in a 5 percent increase from last year.

p. Though the application deadline had passed, definite figures were unknown, because not all of the applications had processed through the admissions office yet.

p. Admissions officers and staff will now read applications over the next two months and send letters to students by April 1.

p. They will choose more than 3,000 from these applications to form a Class of 2012 of about 1,350.

p. The number of early decision applicants increased this year to 917 from 914 last year. This increase in applicants may be a result of U.Va.’s decision to drop its early admissions program.

p. Of the College’s applicants, 467 were admitted.