Staff Editorial: Obama promises change

Next week, in all likelihood, Virginia’s contribution to the hotly contested primary season will take on a relevance not known in recent election years. There are more than 700 students registered to vote locally. We hope those who choose to vote in the Democratic primary will do their part to help nominate Sen. Barack Obama.

p. If this campaign has been about anything, it has been about change: change in Iraq, in the economy and in party politics. In this election, Obama was the first champion of change. Although candidates left and right have adopted the message, we find Obama’s foresight admirable. Whether he is channeling Kennedy or not, the man is a visionary.

p. As students, we appreciate how Obama’s message resonates with young people. College-aged voters have allied with his campaign in impressive numbers. Turnout among young voters has not only increased, but has been decidedly in favor of the Illinois Senator’s camp.

p. Obama has also won a fair amount of support from independent voters, a key group in the national election. We fear that much of the support he has generated would not necessarily transfer to New York Sen. Hillary Clinton were she to be nominated. Whereas we see Obama as a unifying force for change, we question whether Clinton’s divisiveness in the electorate can be overcome.

p. It may be similarly difficult for Obama to overcome his lack of executive experience, and Clinton trounces him in that department. But to some extent we can forgive him for this. A visionary leader should draw inspiration from the future, not the past. We understand that a president can and must surround himself with an expert and knowledgeable staff.

p. We also understand that Americans are looking to head in a new direction and that Obama is the Democrat who is best suited to lead them.