DoubleTake hosts a capella competition

|

February 15, 2008

Tomorrow night, co-ed a cappella group DoubleTake will host the quarterfinals of the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella.

p. The competition will be held at 7 p.m. in the UC Commonwealth Auditorium. Tickets are $5.

p. The ICCA is an event that seeks out the best of the country’s a cappella groups in a series of regional competitions.

p. Tomorrow’s competition is one of three quarterfinals in the Southern region. It will feature performances by seven groups, including University of Maryland’s Faux Paz, Virginia Tech’s Soulstice and Naturally Sharp, James Madison University’s Note-oriety, Elon University’s Sweet Signatures, Catholic University’s Redline and DoubleTake.

p. According to DoubleTake Director Brittany Bonney ’08, each group will have 12 minutes to perform, which usually allows for three to four songs. After each group has performed, judges will determine which two teams will move on to the semifinals March 9 at Wake Forest University. Judges will also hand out individual awards for the best soloist, best choreography, best arrangement and best vocal percussion.

p. Students in attendance tomorrow can look forward to a rendition of Justin Timberlake’s “What Goes Around Comes Around” by Michael Smith ’08 and Caroline Jackson ’09, “Brother Can You Spare a Dime” by Victoria Ryan ’08 and “Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Ryan Miller ’09. Another campus a cappella group, Reveille, will provide entertainment during the judges’ deliberations.

SA passes Hobble Wobble Gobble Act, plans to purchase Thanksgiving turkeys
Inside COLL: Professors raise questions, concerns about implementation of COLL curriculum
Student problems with swipe access stem from data errors