Live Blog: CAA Tournament Quarterfinals

GAME OVER: TRIBE 63, ODU 60

ODU’s last second shot rims out, and the Tribe is headed for a semifinals date with VCU. More coverage following the press conference.

— JD

TRIBE 63, ODU 60 — 5.8 seconds left, Second Half

ODU advances ball to halfcourt and calls timeout.

— JD

TRIBE 63, ODU 60 — 7.5 seconds left, Second Half

Mann hits three from the left wing to put the Tribe ahead. Timeout taken by the College.

— JD

TRIBE 60, ODU 60 — 29.7 seconds left, Second Half

Schneider hit a big three, but Johnson of ODU put on in for two to knot the game at 60-60. The Tribe has the ball. There are 27 seconds on the shot clock.

— JD

TRIBE 57, ODU 56 – 2:33 Second Half

Stein hit two free throws on a one-and-one, then Henderson drilled a three for ODU.

— JD

TRIBE 55, ODU 53 – 3:30 Second Half

ODU’s Ben Finney scored on a powerful drive to the bucket. It’s getting really physical now down in the trenches. Stein just drew a foul at the other end while battling for a rebound.

— JD

TRIBE 55, ODU 51 – 4:31 Second Half

Kisielius fed Stein for a lay-up on a beautiful pass in the post. ODU’s Lee knocked down four free throws during this stretch. He’s about as smooth a big man as there is anywhere. ODU will likely to continue to look for him in the post.

— JD

TRIBE 53, ODU 47 – 6:21 Second Half

ODU’s not going away. They’ve knocked down a number of key shots to keep them in it. Mann finally hit a three, doubling the Tribe’s lead after the score was 50-47. Sumner hit two threes and knocked down two free throws during this stretch as well. The Tribe is making the shots they have to in order to win this thing. They’re going to have to keep bringing it, however, because the Monarchs are hanging around.

— JD

TRIBE 40, ODU 34 – 11:50 Second Half

The pace is picking up now. Kisielius continues to play well, and Chris Darnell just drilled an open three. The Tribe needs to watch out for Brian Henderson, he’s knocking down just about every shot he takes. Stein picked up his fourth foul on a pretty questionable call, so the Tribe’s going to have to rely heavily on Marcus Kitts and Stephen Hess for the next few minutes.

— JD

TRIBE 33, ODU 28 – 15:57 Second Half

There’s a visible confidence about the Tribe now. It’s like they expect to make every shot and grab every rebound. This stretch is the best they’ve played the entire tournament. On the other side, ODU looks scared (except for their freshman guard James). The Tribe is keeping its lock down defensive pressure up, and Kisielius looks like he’s ready to put the team on his back. He’s really starting to play well now.

— Jeff Dooley

HALFTIME STATS

FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
Tribe- 29.2%
ODU-34.8%

REBOUNDS
Tribe- 17
ODU- 17

LEADING SCORERS
Tribe- Kisielius 8, Schneider 6, Mann 4
ODU- Lee 14, Henderson 5, two tied with 2

TRIBE 24, ODU 23 HALFTIME

With 27.5 seconds left on the clock, the Tribe holds for the final possession of the half but fails to shoot the ball before the buzzer sounds. Senior Nathan Mann is 4-4 from the foul line, but has yet to make a shot from the field. Both teams have 17 total rebounds. ODU sophomore Gerald Lee leads all scorers with 14 points, while Laimis Kisielius has eight for the Tribe.

-CS

TRIBE 22, ODU 21, 1:02 First Half

Gerald Lee’s two three-point plays end the Tribe’s 14-0 run.

-CS

TRIBE 20, ODU 13, 3:27 First Half

After two Kisielius lay-ups, the Tribe has stormed out to its first lead of the game. He is playing with a tireless passion and attacking the rim. Sumner also hit a shot from beyond the arc.

-CS

TRIBE 11, ODU 13, 7:44 First Half

Schneider made Tribe’s first field-goal of the game nine minutes into the game and Stein responded with a trey of his own giving the team momentum. Both baskets have brought the Tribe faithful back into the game. The Tribe is finally figuring out the Monarch’s zone defense and creating open shots. Gerald Lee is dominating the low block and has eight of ODU’s 13 points. The long ball has been the great equalizer for the Tribe.

-CS

TRIBE 2, ODU 9, 11:57 First Half

The Tribe looks sloppy in their half-court set offense, committing several turnovers and missing long-range shots. But ODU is also experiencing problems.

-CS

TRIBE 2, ODU 9, 15:06 First Half

Sophomore Gerald Lee went untouched to the basket for a dunk. Tribe freshman Marcus Kitts is now guarding Lee.

-CS

TRIBE 0, ODU 7 , 16:44 First Half

ODU’s Brian Henderson scored the game’s first five points. Nathan Mann missed two three-pointers on the offensive end for the Tribe and committed a turnover. Two minutes into the game, Shaver subbed in guard John Sexton for Mann. ODU is getting good looks and second-chance opportunities.

-CS

GAME DAY STARTERS

no. 5 Tribe

Senior forward Laimis Kisielius
Junior forward Peter Stein
Sophomore forward Danny Sumner
Sophomore guard David Schneider
Senior guard Nathan Mann

no. 4 Monarchs

Sophomore center Gerald Lee
Freshman forward Frank Hassell
Freshman forward Ben Finney
Freshman guard Darius James
Senior guard Brian Henderson

PREGAME

Tip-off for the Tribe’s second round game will be 2:35 p.m. The Tribe’s contingent of fans is about several hundred, while ODU has almost twice as many supporters. After VCU defeated Towson in the first game, many black and gold clad VCU fans stayed to watch the game. Noticeably absent from the College’s student cheering section is a pep band, which most schools brought to the tournament.

-Carl Siegmund