Tomlin named graduation speaker

The College’s Commencement Committee has selected Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin ’95 to speak at this year’s commencement May 11.

p. “As a young alumnus whose accomplishments belie his age, Mike Tomlin offers an inspiring example for our new graduates, and we look forward to hearing from him,” said College Interim College President Taylor Reveley.

p. Tomlin recently finished his first year as head coach and has already made a name for himself, leading his team to a winning 10-6 season. The Steelers also won a division title and a spot in the playoffs, making Tomlin the second coach in Steelers history to accomplish all three tasks during his first season.

p. At the College, Tomlin started for three years at wide receiver during the 1990-1994 seasons. He was selected for the first-team All-Yankee Conference in 1994 and set schoorecords in both touchdown receptions and yards-per-catch average.

p. “In Mike’s time here at William and Mary, he displayed outstanding character and leadership,” Tribe football Head Coach Jimmye Laycock said. “He had a way of bringing the best out of those who were around him … That he has been able to accomplish so much, so soon, is a great reflection on his intelligence and ability.”

p. Since graduating, Tomlin has coached at Virginia Military Institute, the University of Memphis, Arkansas State University, the University of Cincinnati and most recently spent five seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a defensive coach.

p. Tomlin’s selection as commencement speaker comes atop several renowned candidates, including former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, “Harry Potter” author J.K. Rowling and comedian Stephen Colbert.

p. During the commencement ceremony, Tomlin is set to receive an honorary doctorate of humane letters. College Chancellor and retired U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor will offer opening remarks.