UNC student body president murdered

__Community mourns unexpected loss of outstanding student__

p. Eve Carson, the University of North Carolina — Chapel Hill’s student body president, was found shot and killed March 5 on a residential street near the Chapel Hill campus.

p. Carson, 22, a native of Athens, Ga., was a biology and political science double major, as well as a distinguished Morehead-Cain scholar and member of the Phi Beta Kappa honor society at UNC.
    When police arrived at the scene of the murder, they found that Carson had been shot several times, including once in the right temple, and both her wallet and keys had been stolen, according to the March 13 issue of the Washington Post.

p. The suspects in Carson’s murder proceeded to steal her Toyota Highlander SUV and drive to an ATM and convenience store, where they attempted to use Carson’s ATM card to withdraw cash and make purchases.

p. To help locate the two suspects, surveillance camera pictures from the ATM and the store were released to the public over the weekend following the murder. UNC’s Board of Trustees also offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

p. Demario James Atwater, 21, of Durham, N.C., was arrested early on the morning of March 12, after police received a tip concerning his whereabouts.

p. Surveillance photos indicated Laurence Lovette, 17, also of Durham, was the driver of Carson’s SUV. Lovette was arrested March 13 after a four-hour standoff with police.

p. In addition, Lovette has been charged in connection with the death of a Duke University doctoral engineering candidate, Abhijit Mahato, 29, from India. Mahato was found shot to death in his apartment Jan. 18.

p. State records indicate that both Atwater and Lovette were on parole at the time of Carson’s murder.

p. Atwater was placed on probation in 2005 after convictions for breaking and entering and gun possession.

p. Lovette was sentenced to probation earlier this year, two days before prosecutors believe he and Stephen Oates, 19, shot and killed Mahato. In the six weeks following the murder, Durham police arrested Lovette on several occasions and charged him with nine different crimes, including burglary and resisting arrest. On each of these occasions, Lovette was released after his arrests.
    The Chapel Hill community is still reeling after Carson’s murder. Several memorial services have been held at the university and in her hometown of Athens.

p. University Chancellor James Moeser, said the following in a statement issued March 12: “Our interests are in seeing justice served and helping our community during this difficult time. We are thankful for all of the expressions of support pouring in for the Carolina family and our local community in these past few days. Those kind thoughts and prayers for Eve Carson’s family and our community have made a difference.”