TDX fraternity honored with national award

After spending months tirelessly concentrating on the rituals in their meetings, the dedication paid off for the brothers of Theta Delta Chi.

The chapter — or charge, as TDX members often refer to their university’s fraternal division — at the College of William and Mary received recognition of their dedication to the ideals of the fraternity Aug. 9.

According to TDX president Tom Milteer ’09, the award is the result of upholding the values and rituals of the brotherhood.
The winning fraternity must also honor Robert’s Rules, the regulations of parliamentary procedure, in running meetings.
The charge received the award at its annual convention in Los Angeles. This honor has only been given to two other charges, Iowa State University and University of Washington, in the past 15 years.

“We really weren’t expecting it,” Milteer said. “We were literally kind of floored. I was really surprised and really proud.”
The fraternity did not submit an application of any of the necessary paperwork for any awards at the convention. All the members could say was that alumni and convention officials were present for a number of fraternity meetings prior to winning the award.

This is the first award in five years that the charge at the College has won. In 2003, it won the Victory Cup, the fraternity’s highest honor, which indicated the most improved charge.

“Winning the President’s Cup proved that we are just as strong — if not stronger — as the founding class was 5 years ago,” TDX vice president David Hampton ’10 said. “People have always thought of us as a different fraternity — an alternative fraternity. Now we can show people we don’t just appeal to one group.”

Simultaneously, positive changes took place inside of the fraternity and with the individual brothers.

“Confidence is improved,” Hampton said. “Everyone is powered up and it was nice to have something to show off at Meet the Greeks. [It is] just an amazing way to start the year.”