College overpowers Brigham Young

TRIBE 4, BYU 1

Coming into Thursday night’s game with Brigham Young University, College of William and Mary senior left back Abby Lauer figured her main responsibility to be stopping a BYU attack, which averages two goals a game.
But responsibilities change, so in addition to stopping the Cougars’ attack, Lauer finished as the game’s points leader, scoring one goal and assisting on another, as the Tribe (2-1-1) trounced BYU 4-1.

“It was unexpected for me, but I’m a senior now and it’s important to step up like that,” Lauer said.
Lauer opened the scoring in the 18th minute, sending one into the box from near midfield that deflected off a BYU defender for an own goal. It was Lauer’s first goal of the season and matched her career high in goals.
Senior midfielder Danielle Collins added a second goal in the 23rd minute, scoring on a header to the back post off a corner from senior back Meredith Brown.

In the first minute of the second frame, the Tribe continued its corner kick magic as junior forward Kellie Jenkins scored off of a corner from Lauer. Jenkins settled the ball and put it past the BYU keeper to the near post for her first goal of the season.

“I went over there and usually we try to hit it back-post to the second stick, but [Head Coach John Daly] told
me to keep it low,” Lauer said. “So I drove it across and Kelly just worked real hard to get in there, get in front of the keeper, muscle her off and get it in.”

Claire Zimmeck added an insurance goal in the 67th minute to end the College’s scoring.
BYU’s lone goal came in the 58th minute when Lauren Anderson fired a shot off the left post and past College senior keeper Meghan Walker, who recorded five saves.

The Tribe consistently executed on the long ball all night, playing the ball up field to streaking attackers and putting pressure on the BYU backline.

“Abby is a great server of the ball into the attacking third and she strikes the ball beautifully,” Daly said. “She knows when she needs to be knocking it long and when she needs to make space for herself and play it shorter. She was one of the key players tonight.”