CAA Football Roundup

Eight CAA teams played outside the conference this weekend, leaving only two conference games on the schedule for Saturday.

The CAA went 4-4 in non-conference games.

No. 2 Richmond 44 – Maine 17

Richmond got off to a slow start against the Black Bears. Leading by just three at halftime, the Spiders quickly picked things up, scoring on its first three offensive possessions and mixing in an interception return for a TD to put the game away. Richmond quarterback Eric Ward completed 16 of 15 passes for 273 yards and three TDs.

Hofstra 23 – Rhode Island 20

Rhode Island tied the game at 20 with 47 seconds remaining, but Hofstra quarterback Cory Christopher picked apart the Rams secondary and led the Pride to a game-winning field goal with three seconds left. Rhode Island nearly took the ensuing kickoff to the house, using a lateral to keep the return alive, before being stopped at the Hofstra 22-yard line.

On to the non-conference games.

No. 10 New Hampshire 32 – Albany 24

New Hampshire trailed 17-14 at halftime, but quickly regained the lead less than two minutes into the second half on one of R.J Toman’s four touchdown passes.

New Hampshire gave the lead back midway through the third quarter before Toman threw another TD to secure the lead for good.

No. 24 Furman 23 – No. 6 Delaware 21

Delaware quarterback Rob Schoenhoft had a rough day, throwing four interceptions and just one touchdown. He led a late Delaware touchdown drive that brought the Blue Hens to within two, but the Delaware defense could not force a Furman punt and the Paladins ran out the clock.

Syracuse 30 – Northeastern 21

Turnovers did in Northeastern. The Huskies stayed close against the Orangemen, converting third downs and committing few penalties, but three turnovers turned into 10 Syracuse points and ended any upset hopes. Northeastern’s final turnover came with 32 seconds left, giving Syracuse the ball and the win.

No. 19 Villanova 20 – Pennsylvania 14

Pennsylvania forced four Wildcat turnovers – all interceptions –had a five-minute advantage in time of possession and blocked a Villanova PAT in overtime, but it wasn’t enough.

Villanova forced a fumble and recovered it on Penn’s first play in overtime, overcoming a poor showing from quarterback Antwon Young.

No. 5 James Madison 35 – No. 1 Appalachian State 32

Three-time defending national champion Appalachian State jumped all over JMU early, racing out to a 21-0 at the break. Unfortunately for the Moutaineers, JMU woke up in the second half.

The Dukes outscored Appalachian State 35-11 in the second half and held off Armanti Edwards and company. JMU got revenge for last year’s playoff loss to the Moutaineers and picked up a huge non-conference win heading into CAA play.

Coastal Carolina 31 – Towson 3

Towson scored first and then never scored again as Coastal Carolina reeled of 31 unanswered points.

The Tigers didn’t commit a turnover and dominated time of possession, but converted on just seven of 19 third downs. Towson’s running game never got going either, generating just 44 yards on 32 carries.

No. 11 (FBS) Texas Tech 56 – No. 9 (FCS) Massachusetts 14
Texas Tech scored first and never looked back, jumping all over the Minutemen early behind the play of quarterback Graham Harrell, who completed 27 of 34 passes for 322 yards and four TDs. UMass has now dropped two straight games, including a CAA showdown with JMU.

Tribe 42 – Norfolk State 12
See: here for a full recap.

CAA Standings

North Division

New Hampshire (1-0, 3-0)

Hofstra (1-0, 1-2)

Northeastern (0-0, 0-3)

Maine (0-1, 2-2)

Massachusetts (0-1, 2-2)

Rhode Island (0-2, 1-3)

South Division

Richmond (2-0, 3-1)

James Madison (1-0, 3-1)

William & Mary (0-0, 2-1)

Villanova (0-0, 2-1)

Delaware (0-0, 1-2)

Towson (0-1, 1-3)