Field Hockey: Third overtime contest in a row dooms Tribe

TRIBE 3, RICHMOND 4

The College of William and Mary owned its head-to-head series with the University of Richmond, holding a 17-1-1 advantage over the Spiders.

But Sunday afternoon, Richmond picked up a rare win over the College (1-6), scoring the first goal of overtime to secure a 4-3 victory.

Richmond grabbed an early lead with a goal seven minutes into the match. The Tribe responded by staying aggressive on offense, which allowed sophomore forward Rebecca Wagner to break through the Spider’s defense in the 14th minute to tie the score.

A few defensive missteps by the Tribe allowed Richmond to extend its lead by another
goal going into halftime.

Early in the second half the Tribe earned back-to-back penalty corners, but could not convert. Meanwhile, Spider midfielder Sarah Schrott converted a penalty corner to pad Richmond’s lead to 3-1.

The College did not roll over for the Spiders and the Tribe pulled within one goal when junior midfielder Wesley Drew teamed up with senior forward Lauren Giles to notch another, putting the Tribe back into contention.

With minutes left to go in the game, senior defender Katie Broaddus sent a shot flying into the Spider cage for an apparent goal, but an official called an infraction on the College and denied the potential game-tying score. Minutes later, however, freshman midfielder Mikala Savaides scored her first collegiate goal to pull the College even with Richmond. With zero seconds remaining on the clock Richmond had a chance to seal the game with a penalty corner, but Tribe goalkeeper sophomore Camilla Hill turned the shot back, sending the match into “golden goal” overtime, where the team to score first wins.

Seven minutes later Richmond forward Sarah Blythe-Wood found the back of cage to give the Spiders the victory.

“We played well today,” Head Coach Peel Hawthorne said after the game. “We fixed some problem areas and this game really showed the girls that they can compete with anyone.”

The Tribe outshot the Spiders by a narrow margin of 18 to 17 and had the advantage on penalty corners, 11 to six.

The College opens CAA play Friday at Northeastern University.