Women’s Soccer: College rebounds with two weekend wins

TRIBE 6, AKRON 0

With four minutes remaining in the second period against the University of Akron Sunday afternoon, the College of William and Mary took a break.

The Tribe (5-3-1) had already put six goals in the back of the net on its way to a 6-0 rout of the Zips.

“I thought there were a couple of very, very good goals,” Head Coach John Daly said. “And they weren’t from individual [plays], they were from collective moves which was very, very pleasing to see.”

In the beginning of the match, junior forward Kellie Jenkins scored the Tribe’s first goal in the fifth minute off a through-ball from senior forward Claire Zimmeck. Jenkins finished with two goals and one assist, while Zimmeck tallied one goal and two helpers.

“The first one was the most exciting,” Jenkins said. “It set the pace for the rest of the game.”

As the game continued, the number of Tribe goals multiplied. Sophomore forward Anna Kayes scored in the 35th minute, Zimmeck in the 57th, Jenkins again in the 59th, sophomore midfielder Emily DeNardis in the 71st and fellow sophomore midfielder Gabby Gonzales in the 86th — the College’s six goals and eight assists each set a record for Albert-Daly Field.

TRIBE 2, N.C. STATE 1

The most important goal of the weekend came Friday night when Claire Zimmeck scored the golden goal in the fifth minute of the second overtime period to give the Tribe a 2-1 victory over North Carolina State University.

The deciding play began with junior Krissy Vornadore splitting Wolfpack defenders in a run down the center of the field, before playing a ball into the center of the box for Jenkins, who then one-timed the ball to Zimmeck.
She buried the ball into the bottom-right corner of the net.

“I couldn’t have done it without [Jenkins and Vornadore],” Zimmeck said. “They did it. I was just lucky to be on the end of it.”

After N.C. State forward Lindsay Vera began the scoring in the 36th minute, the Tribe offense was ruthless, out-shooting the Wolfpack 14-4 the rest of the match.

“I thought they were very fortunate to get their goal,” Daly said. “We controlled most of the first half. We had a couple of half-chances, a couple of scrambles and we couldn’t get onto it.

“We could have easily dropped our heads in that situation. We didn’t.”

The Tribe tied the score at 1-1 on a sliding shot from freshman forward Stephanie Gerow with 19 seconds left in the first period. The score remained tied until Zimmeck’s game winner in overtime.

The College’s next match is slated for Friday night against University of North Carolina-Wilmington to open the CAA portion of the regular season.