Gordon elected to lead freshman class

The Class of 2012 chose the newest members of the Student Assembly last night. Kobie Gordon ’12 was elected president after winning the runoff election over three opponents.

Shortly after the election results came in at 8 p.m. last night, Gordon was led blindfolded into the Library Tavern, where he was greeted by cheers and dancing from the other winning candidates.

“I’m looking very forward to working with everyone and I want everyone to know that I’m approachable, and I want everyone to be able to talk to me, and I’ll make sure that our goals are reached while I’m here at William and Mary,” Gordon said.

The four freshman seats on the senate were won by Betty Jeanne Manning ’12, Ben Battaglia ’12, Tom Flaherty ’12 and Stef Felitto ’12, who defeated fifth-place finisher Matt Schofield ’12 by only two votes.

The elections for the freshman officers on the SA executive provided less drama, as all the winners easily won their races.

Jackie Stykes ’12 was elected vice president for advocacy and Nicole Skarpness ’12 will serve as vice president for social affairs. Stephanie McGuire ’12 won the secretary position and Xiaoyu Guo ’12 was elected treasurer.

“The freshman class is the most diverse class William and Mary has ever seen,” SA President Valerie Hopkins ’09 told the new SA members. “Make sure you know what their needs are.”