That Guy: Brooks Wildasin

Brooks Wildasin puts me at ease before he even takes his seat in the quiet side room of the Daily Grind. In the middle of a hectic week for both of us, he is down-to-earth and unruffled. Brooks, who will graduate with a degree from the business school and a minor in history, is the president of Sigma Pi fraternity and a fellow unit-dweller. This military brat has traveled to every country in Western Europe, and called Germany and sunny Oahu home before settling into life here at the College of William and Mary.

What is it like being the president of Sigma Pi?

Honestly, most of my time is really dedicated to the fraternity and getting things turned around. There were some leadership issues in the past, and I came in and have been working on developing us and getting us back on track. I think my fraternity in general has grown in the last year into something much better than it originally was. That’s probably my biggest job right now. It’s been a lot of work. The administration used to be much tougher on us and have definitely calmed down to work with us this year and that’s something I’ve been really proud of. I feel like the communication between Greek life and administration in general has been much better this year. It’s creating a healthier, safer environment for everybody. We need to continue to build on it and help those relationships blossom. We’ve taken almost a 180 degree turn for the better.

What’s life been like in the notorious units?

The cleaning staff in the units are by far the most strong-willed, best people in the world. They’ll do anything for us. But beyond that, life in the Units is difficult. They’re nice, but they could be a little well-kept. It seems like there’s always one or two things that are getting broken. I understand that they are old buildings, but they could be better.

What is, in your opinion, the best dance party theme?

My personal favorite is “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy.” But that’s because I’m a huge country fan and it’s the only time I can get away with putting that in the playlist. Honestly, my other favorite was “Golf Pros, Tennis Hos,” which we can’t do any longer because the school doesn’t like the terminology. So now its “Golf Pros, Tennis Ladies.”

Doesn’t have the same ring, does it?

Exactly. It used to be my favorite one until that whole debacle.

The new season of “The Office” premieres last night. What “Office” character would you be?

Jim, just because he really goes with the flow on everything. He doesn’t really let things get to him. That’s how I characterize myself. I’m really laid back and I can roll with the punches. I don’t get flustered and I like to have fun.

If there was a soundtrack to your life, what would be on it?

It would be a fusion between “Keg in the Closet” by Kenny Chesney and “Could You Be Loved” by Bob Marley. And, if anyone can understand that, then they’ll understand me.

We call it a day because we’ve both got a lot of work to do. It’s been a pleasure talking to the Jim Halpert of William and Mary. He wishes me luck on my exams and gives an amiable good-bye as we head out of the Grind. I’m sure I’ll see him around campus, but I also know that if I ever hear Kenny Chesney blasting from Unit E, I’ll know where to find him.