Field Hockey: Tribe splits pair in CAA

TRIBE 2, TOWSON 1

It wouldn’t be a home game for the College of William and Mary without overtime. Playing its fifth consecutive overtime match at Busch Field, the Tribe picked up its quickest OT victory of the season Sunday against Towson University.

Just 24 seconds into overtime, redshirt freshman midfielder Kelsey Nawalinski scored off an assist from sophomore forward Rebecca Wagner, giving the College the win in the first sudden-death overtime period.
The Tribe played a long double overtime match Friday night in a 3-2 penalty stroke loss to the University of Delaware, but came out ready to play Sunday against Towson.

The victory moved the Tribe to 3-8 overall and 2-1 in the CAA.

“Our girls were really tired today after playing 115 straight minutes on Friday,” Head Coach Peel Hawthorne said following the Towson match. “It feels great to come out today and get the win.”

Towson scored the first goal of the game early in the first half, shifting the action to offense and earning plenty of penalty corners throughout the match. The Tribe attempted six shots in the first half, but failed to get past Towson goalkeeper Whitney Clugston before halftime.

A reinvigorated Tribe team emerged from the break, quickly firing shots on goal and constantly pressuring the ball. The College’s increased energy produced points under two minutes into the second half when sophomore forward Jenna Cinalli connected on a free hit feed from junior midfielder Wesley Drew assist.

Senior defender Katie Broaddus and sophomore goalkeeper Carrie Thompson led a Tribe defense, which shut out the Tigers for the game’s final 55 minutes. Thompson stymied any Towson attempts to finish the game in regulation, recording eight stops — five in the second half alone.

TRIBE 2, DELAWARE 3

The College did not have similar success in overtime Friday, when the Tribe and the Blue Hens remained knotted at two goals apiece after two 15-minute overtime periods, resulting in game-deciding penalty strokes.

The College had a chance to put the match away in the first series of penalty strokes after taking an early lead following two wide shots from Delaware. Senior midfielder Lauren Giles took the Tribe’s final shot in the first series, but Delaware goalkeeper Nikki Rhoades denied it and sent the game into a second series of penalty strokes. The Blue Hens sealed the victory when they made their first four shots.

The Tribe outshot Delaware 16-4 and took the advantage in penalty corners (11-3). Rhoades recorded 10 saves — including five in the overtime periods — to secure the win.

The College returns to conference action Friday night when it travels to Drexel University.