Joe the (unlicensed) plumber

|

October 16, 2008

Have we really gotten to the point where these politicians – having given the same stump speeches and talking points for what seems like an eternity – are down to vying for the vote of Joe the Plumber?

Who the hell is this guy, and why does he matter? Didn’t this guy have a six-pack during the vice presidential debate? Is it because voters in swing states are somehow undecided between Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain, despite the fact that their policies – particularly with regards to the current financial crisis – are polar opposites?

Will Joe the Plumber’s endorsement really determine this election? Honestly?

Never mind the hilarious news today that Joe is not actually a licensed plumber,and that he owes a nice chunk of back taxes too (the revelation that Joe is a fraud also explains Fox News Channel’s eagerness to feature him on one of their programs.)

When Joe the fake Plumber becomes a national icon because he “stood up” to Barack Obama’s tax plan, you know we’re in bad shape. There is little the candidates can say on policy that can distinguish themselves from the other candidate at this point. Those that want to know the differences do, and those that still don’t know simply haven’t been paying attention.

Of course, the McCain folks want the campaign to continue as long as possible so they can continue to play the race card, but their time is running out pretty fast.

Board of Visitors defers discussion of amendments to weapon, open flame policies
Board of Visitors meets to approve 18 resolutions in November session
Short story author Kelly Link discusses magical realism, writing