CAA Football Roundup

The first week without a CAA team playing outside the conference saw favorites take care of business. Villanova and JMU remain the only two undefeated teams within the conference.

Tribe 27 – Delaware 3
The Tribe jumped on the Blue Hens early and clamped down defensively for its second straight road win. Expect the College to appear in the top 25 of this week’s polls. Click here for a full recap.

No. 11 New Hampshire 33 – Northeastern 21
For the first half of the game, it appeared New Hampshire was still shaking off its homecoming loss to the Tribe. The Wildcats trailed 21-3 in the second quarter, but reeled off 30 unanswered points to put Northeastern away and lay claim to first place in the CAA North. New Hampshire quarterback R.J. Toman completed 25 of 36 passes for 277 yards and three TDs.

No. 7 Villanova 44 – Rhode Island 7
Rhode Island scored first, but that was it for the Rams. Villanova seized the momentum with two long pass plays for touchdowns before halftime and dominated the Rams. The Wildcats outgained Rhode Island by nearly 300 yards. Villanova quarterbacks Chris Whitney and Antwon Young split duties Saturday. ’Nova hosts no. 1 JMU this week in a showdown of the CAA’s undefeated teams.

No. 9 Richmond 30 – No. 10 Massachusetts 15
Richmond rebounded from a heartbreaking home loss to JMU with its first conference road win in 2008. The Spiders dominated time of possession and converted 50 percent of its third down plays, while limiting UMass to five conversions on 16 third downs. Richmond kicker Andrew Howard missed the first PAT of his career Saturday. Howard had made 121 in a row prior to the UMass game.

Maine 41 – Hofstra 40 (2 OT)
Saturday’s most exciting conference game also featured a missed PAT, but this one was actually costly. Hofstra scored a touchdown in double overtime to take the lead, but Roger Williams sent his kick wide left and left an opening for Maine to win with a TD and PAT. Maine pounced on the opportunity, scoring on its first play in the second overtime with a 25-yard TD reception. It was Hofstra’s fourth consecutive road game.

CAA Standings

North Division
New Hampshire (2-1, 5-1)
Maine (2-2, 4-3)
Massachusetts (2-2, 4-3)
Hofstra (1-2, 2-4)
Northeastern (1-2, 2-5)
Rhode Island (0-4, 2-6)

South Division
James Madison (4-0, 6-1)
Villanova (3-0, 5-1)
William & Mary (2-1, 4-2)
Richmond (3-2, 5-3)
Towson (1-2, 3-4)
Delaware (0-3, 2-5)