Sports in Brief: October 24

Men’s Soccer: College falls at home to first place UNCW, 4-0
After faltering on a late first-half penalty kick, the College of William and Mary (7-5-2, 3-4 CAA) could not gain any momentum and suffered a 4-0 loss against the University of North Carolina-Wilmington (8-7, 5-2 CAA) Wednesday night at Albert-Daly Field. The Tribe outshot the Seahawks 16-7, yet the tremendous play of UNCW keeper Brock Duckworth kept the game out of reach.

With the Tribe down 2-0, junior back Roger Bothe attempted a penalty kick late in the first half which was halted by a diving Duckworth. The College continued to apply pressure, registering 11 second-half shots to UNCW’s 3, but two late long balls over the Tribe’s back line led to easy breakaway goals for UNCW, icing the game for a UNCW squad that now sits in first place in the CAA.

Men’s Golf: Hurson’s win leads Tribe to runner-up finish
College of William and Mary senior Doug Hurson overcame a one-stroke deficit in the final round to record his first individual victory for the Tribe. Hurson posted a two-round score of 143 (+1), pacing the College to a runner-up finish at the Georgetown Intercollegiate. The Tribe finished five strokes behind tournament champion Miami (Ohio) University. Freshman Jason Chun placed sixth, posting a score of 149 (+7).

Women’s Golf: College takes 10th at Lady Pirate tourney
The College of William and Mary finished 10th at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate in Greenville, N.C., Tuesday. Tribe sophomore Sarah Whitney and junior Morgan Stepanek placed 19th and 23rd. The College’s rounds at the Lady Pirate Intercollegiate completed its fall season. The Tribe will tee off again in February.

Andrew Pike contributed to this report.