CAA Football Roundup

No real shake-ups in the CAA this weekend, although no. 1 JMU rekindled its late-game heroics to escape with a win at no. 7 Villanova and supplant itself atop the conference. Meanwhile, no. 9 Richmond and no. 17 Massachusetts played non-conference opponents Saturday.

*No. 23 Tribe 34 – Rhode Island 24*
The Tribe got off to a slow start again, but rebounded in the second half to get past Rhode Island. Click here for a full recap.

No. 1 JMU 23 – No. 7 Villanova 19
This game between the top two teams in the CAA South lived up to the hype. JMU trailed by two with 1:09 remaining in the game when it got the ball back. ’Nova smartly punted the ball away from the dangerous Scotty McGee (ask Richmond about him), but JMU still found a way to win. With four seconds left and the Dukes out of field goal range, JMU quarterback Rodney Landers hurled a ball into the wind, which bounced off two Villanova defenders – including a fortunate upward ricochet off a helmet – and fell into the hands of wideout Bosco Williams in the end zone for the game-winning TD. JMU has now won two consecutive last-second CAA games. Don’t expect them to lose again in the regular season.

No. 10 New Hampshire 42 – Towson 14
Three big first half plays – an interception return for a touchdown and long passing and running plays – got New Hampshire rolling early. Their 28 second quarter points gave the Wildcats a 35-7 lead heading into halftime. Towson dominated time of possession nearly two-to-one, but its drives ended in punts, turnovers and a missed field goal.

Maine 20 – Northeastern 0
Maine has quietly strung together three straight conference wins – albeit against Delaware, Hofstra and Northeastern (teams who are a combined 3-9 in the CAA). The Black Bears committed no turnovers and converted nine of their 16 third downs. Quarterback Michael Brusko led a rushing attack that accounted for 246 yards.

Delaware 17 – Hosftra 0
Delaware clamped down defensively, forcing five straight punts from Hofstra and allowing the Pride inside the redzone only once. Blue Hens running back Junior Jabbie carried Delaware, running for 155 yards and one TD on 31 carries.

No. 9 Richmond 48 – Georgetown 0
Richmond outgunned an overmatched Georgetown Saturday, limiting the Hoyas to 88 total yards and just four first downs. Running back Josh Vaughan rushed for 157 yards and two touchdowns. The Spiders did commit three turnovers and seven penalties, but it didn’t matter Saturday.

No. 17 Massachusetts 42 – Bryant 7
This CAA-NEC matchup was over quickly as UMass put 21 points on the board in the game’s first eight minutes. Minutemen quarterback Liam Coen threw for 389 yards and 5 touchdowns on just 18 passing attempts.

CAA Standings

North Division
New Hampshire (3-1, 6-1)
Maine (3-2, 5-3)
Massachusetts (2-2, 5-3)
Hofstra (1-3, 3-5)
Northeastern (1-3, 2-6)
Rhode Island (0-5, 2-7)

South Division
James Madison (5-0, 7-1)
Villanova (3-1, 5-2)
William & Mary (3-1, 5-2)
Richmond (3-2, 6-3)
Delaware (1-3, 3-5)
Towson (1-3, 3-5)