Football: Keys to the Richmond game

|

November 21, 2008

Avoid turnovers

The Spiders seek to suffocate teams by controlling time of possession and limiting the opportunities of an opposing offense to score. Richmond ranks third in the CAA in time of possession and fourth in turnover margin. The College will only get so many offensive drives tomorrow, and it must make the most of each one. The Tribe cannot afford to waste any with costly turnovers.

Get Grimes the ball

Freshman tailback Jonathan Grimes is one of the College’s most dangerous offensive weapons, ranking ninth in the country in all-purpose yards with 169.2 per game, but he only touched the ball 12 times in the Tribe’s blowout loss to James Madison University this past Saturday. For the College to defeat Richmond, Grimes must get at least 20 carries while getting involved in the passing game with screens and dumpoffs.

Control the line

Richmond’s defense is tops in the CAA in both scoring and yardage — allowing 16.4 points per game and 249.7 yards per game — and two big reasons why are standout defensive ends Sherman Logan and Lawrence Sidbury, Jr., who have combined 10.5 sacks The College’s offensive line must find a way to subdue both that duo and the potent Richmond pass rush and open running lanes for the Tribe backs.

Northam to take the stage: Recently inaugurated Virginia Governor Ralph Northam will serve as Charter Day’s keynote speaker
Former government professor files lawsuit against the College
Professor, student concerns about changes to MBTA take flight at College