News in Brief: April 24

*W&M Image Awards recipients to be honored at show*

The College of William and Mary’s Student Assembly and NAACP have announced the winners of this year’s W&M Image Awards. Since 2005, these awards have been given annually to students, faculty, staff and local community groups who “strive to build bridges across lines of difference and foster a truly inclusive campus community.”

The recipients were selected by a student committee and will be honored at a live awards ceremony for the first time. The show will be hosted by the International Performance Arts Exchange Sunday at the Sadler Center Commonwealth Auditorium.

*Former state senator named 2009 Andrews Fellow*

John Chichester, a former state senator who served for nearly thirty years, has been named the College of William and Mary’s 2009 Hunter B. Andrews Fellow in American politics. Chichester, who represented Virginia’s 28th district from 1978 to 2007, was an advocate for higher education in Virginia.

“John Chichester has dedicated his life to public service and to making a real difference in the Commonwealth,” College President Taylor Reveley said in a press release. “We are honored to bring him back to campus as the 2009 Andrews Fellow.”

Chichester served in such leadership roles in the Virginia Senate as president pro tempore for eight years, chair of the Senate Finance Committee and of the Commission on the Future Higher Education in Virginia and co-chair of the Joint Subcommittee on Higher Education Funding Policies.