News in Briefs: April 28

*CW president addresses forum on world issues*

Colonial Williamsburg Foundation President and Chief Executive Officer Colin G. Campbell discussed American citizenship, history and leadership at the E.N. Thompson Forum on World Issues.
The Forum was held at the University of Nebraska — Lincoln’s Lied Center for Performing Arts.
During his speech, Campbell said Americans must catch up with other countries in an increasingly globalized world.
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation hosted the 2007 World Forum on the Future of Democracy.

*Former College professor sentenced for hacking*

A former business professor at the College of William and Mary was sentenced to one year of probation for hacking into two students’ e-mail accounts.
Stephan Grzeskowiak plead guilty in February to two counts of unauthorized access to a protected computer. Grzeskowiak used spyware to monitor a student who had ended a romantic relationship with him.
The U.S. District Court in Madison, Wi. sentenced Grzeskowiak to 360 days of unsupervised probation and ordered him to pay over $5,000 in fines. The lenient sentence is due to Grezeskowiak’s terminal illness.

*Congressman issues statement on student loans*

U.S. Rep. George Miller (D-Ca.) issued a statement in response to a government study which revealed that the number of students taking out private student loans has increased by 9 percent.
In the statement, Miller said he fears American students are turning to less financially-stable options to fund the increasing costs of higher education.
Miller said he supported the Higher Education Opportunity Act, which requires lenders to inform prospective students of their lending options before withdrawing a loan.

*WM News Twitter reaches 1,000-follower milestone*

The William and Mary News Twitter gained its one-thousandth follower last week.
The account, launched in February, informs followers of campus events, faculty and student media and breaking news at the College.
Twitter is an online social-networking site where users post updates of 140 characters or less called “tweets.” Followers receive updates each time a new tweet is posted.