Comey ’82 to keynote Convocation

|

July 20, 2009

Former United States Deputy Attorney General James B. Comey ’82 will welcome the Class of 2013 at the annual Convocation ceremony Aug. 28.

Comey, now a vice president at Lockheed Martin, spoke at the annual Charter Day celebration in 2008, and previously keynoted Convocation in 2003.

He is also the vice president of the William and Mary Alumni Association’s Board of Directors.

“It is marvelous to have Jim Comey back once again to speak to our Opening Convocation,” College of William and Mary President Taylor Reveley said in a press release. “He is one of William and Mary’s most distinguished alumni, with a compelling record of public service. Jim Comey understands what has made the College great over the generations.”

Comey, who majored in chemistry and religion at the College, held his Justice Department position between 2003 and 2005. He gained national notoriety after he refused to approve a National Security Agency domestic wiretapping program while serving as Acting Attorney General during a surgical hospitalization of then-Attorney General John Ashcroft.

In 2007, Comey criticized the Bush administration’s Justice Department in testimony before the House Judiciary subcommittee on Commercial and Administrative Law. Comey said the department was run by political allies of the president, and argued that the department must be nonpolitical.

JPMorgan Vice President Rhian Horgan ’99 keynoted Convocation last year.

College, RBC unveil program aimed at helping low-income students transfer more easily
Power outage, Boutetourt Complex evacuation costs College $63,000