Facts that speak for themselves

Dear undecided voter,

You probably have heard this before, but I will tell you again: Your vote could make all the difference. You have the potential to elect the leaders who will put America back on track to achieve prosperity. Gov. Mitt Romney and Rep. Paul Ryan may not be endorsed by Jay-Z and neither of them is pandering shamelessly for your vote by endorsing a “sexy” ad which likens voting for them to losing your virginity. But as a College of William and Mary student, you know better than to fall for these desperate gimmicks.

This election isn’t about what’s trendy now. It isn’t about Big Bird, binders full of women or a Gangam-style parody. This election is about two candidates with two different records, and two different visions for the country’s future.

There is a saying: “Look back to where you have been as a clue to where you are going.” I believe that the past of each candidate is an excellent indicator of his future leadership in 2012-2016.

President Barack Obama’s record has been a disappointment to many Americans and has shown us that inflating the size of the federal government is simply not the answer. Despite a massive government stimulus exceeding $690 billion, the unemployment rate remained above eight percent from February 2009 until August 2012 peaking at 10 percent in October 2009. In 2011, 53.6 percent of college graduates in the U.S. under 25 years old were jobless or working jobs that did not require a college education, and three out of 10 had to move back home with their parents due to tough economic times — the highest rate since the 1950s. As of September 2012, 22.4 million American households (15 percent) are on food stamps, median incomes for people of all races have decreased during his time in office, and the total number of people in poverty has increased during his term. In addition, Obama has cut national defense spending by $21 billion, which arguably threatens our national security.

In stark contrast to the past four years, Romney’s record suggests that he is precisely what America needs. Romney has had experience successfully balancing budgets and managing operations that were on the cusp of failure. He revitalized a scandal-ridden 2002 Olympics, and through pragmatic, detailed decisions, he eliminated unnecessary spending and balanced the event’s budget. In addition, he refused his salary to save Bain Capital while balancing the budget and also helped save companies such as Domino’s Pizza, Staples and Burger King with his economic prowess. As governor of Massachusetts, he did not accept a salary while he bridged a deficit gap that exceeded $2 billion by closing loopholes and cutting spending without raising income taxes. His tenure as a ward bishop in his church demonstrates his empathy for those in need, and his philanthropic contributions exceeded 29 percent of his annual income in 2011, not including his contributions through his Tyler Charitable Foundation, which total over $7 million since 1999.

When you enter that voting booth next Tuesday, you have the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than yourself. Voting for Romney is casting a vote to cap the federal deficit and ensure that your parents still have Social Security after they’ve worked hard. It is ensuring that grandparents receive high quality healthcare that the government does not dictate. It is supporting the creation of a labor environment where millions who are unemployed can find work again and in which college graduates can find jobs that they have worked hard to obtain after graduation.

A vote for Romney embodies the “spirit of resistance” Thomas Jefferson spoke of many years ago that is needed to keep the government working for the people. America simply deserves better than Obama.

Hark Upon the Ballot Box,

Andrea

2 COMMENTS