Golf: Tribe dominates Invitational

William and Mary golfers haven’t won an individual medal since 2008, when Doug Hurson ’09 and Brent Paladino ’09 each won a golf tournament as individuals. After five years of failed attempts, the College delivered Tuesday, with senior Jeremy Wells dominating the Whiting Turner Towson Invitational.

Wells shot an even par for the tournament, finishing three strokes ahead of Indiana University of Pennsylvania’s Zack Kemp to claim the individual medal.

But the achievements did not stop there, as Wells’ performance pushed the Tribe to an overall team victory at the invitational. The Tribe won by 25 strokes, while Loyola of Maryland finished second in the team competition with 49 strokes over par and a three-day total of 913 strokes.

The College placed four in the top seven as the team finished 24 strokes over par, compiling a three-day total of 888.  Individually, sophomore Charlie Kern shot 223 to finish seven over par, good for No. 3 overall.

Fellow sophomore Alex Hicks tied for No. 4 overall with a 224 total score, one stroke behind Kern.

Sophomore Joey Shroyer rounded out the College’s top finishers, chasing Hicks with a 225 three-day score, nine over par for the tournament. Shroyer’s performance tied for No. 6 overall.

Wells, the Invitational champion, turned in his best round — at 68 — on the first day of competition. Thereafter, Wells shot a 72 and a 76 to clinch the No. 1 spot.

The College will travel to N.C. State for its next tournament April 20 and 21.