Men’s Cross Country: Young squad wraps up conference, again

Colonial Athletic Association Championships: 1st

NCAA Southeast Regional Cross Country Championships: 6th

William and Mary’s Colonial Athletic Association championship Nov. 2 wasn’t just an automatic bid to the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Southeast Regional Championship. It was the program’s 14th consecutive CAA Championship, a run that dates to 2000.

The Tribe’s 14-year streak ranks among the best nationally; it is the second-longest active streak behind Iona University’s 23-year run in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference and is tied with Wisconsin’s run in the Big Ten. Overall, the program’s total of 21 titles ranks second among all conference programs, trailing the College’s women’s tennis program’s 22 titles.

Junior Rad Gunzenhauser finished second overall at the CAA meet, completing the 8,000 meter course in 24 minutes and 46 seconds. Freshman Trevor Sleight crossed the line third at 25:05. The College placed three others in scoring positions, while seven were named to the all-conference team.

The Tribe finished 6th at the NCAA Southeast Regional Championship, upsetting three higher-ranked teams but failing to qualify for the NCAA Championships. Senior Joshua Mercado ran a 29:57, good for 29th overall in the 10,000 meter race. Four other College runners, including Gunzenhauser, finished in the top-100. Two others finished in the top 180 competitors.

The Tribe will travel to Boulder, Co. Feb. 15 for the United States of America Track and Field Cross Country Championships.