Women’s basketball: Tribe loses, wins in tournament

After watching Green Bay (5-1) trounce his team 90-44 Friday, head coach Ed Swanson earned his first tally in the win column for William and Mary (1-5) in an overtime victory against the University of Massachusetts Saturday in the Maine Thanksgiving Tournament.

Junior forward Jazmen Boone led the Tribe with a career-high 24 points and seven rebounds. However, the Tribe’s first win of the season was a full team effort. Junior forward Kyla Kerstetter chipped in 18 points, six rebounds and three steals. Freshman guard Marlena Tremba had a team-high four steals along with 15 points and six assists. Junior guard Anna Kestler scored a career-high 12 points, while directing the offense. The Tribe would go on to win 96-88 in overtime.

The loss of 69 percent of the team’s scoring production from last year largely accounts for the prevalence of career-high totals. Lacking a definite scoring leader, the Tribe has been lackluster on offense thus far this season.

The College’s offensive woes were on display Friday, when it was drastically overmatched against the eventual tournament champions, Green Bay. The Athletics dominated the contest from the onset as they jumped to a 9-0 lead and led 45-13 at halftime. Tremba led all Tribe scorers with 11 points and was the only one in double-figures. With the game all but over at half, the Phoenix cruised to a 90-44 win.

The Tribe faces La Salle at 7 p.m. Thursday at Kaplan Arena.