Gymnastics: College women finish second in tri-meet, while men defeat Springfield

|

February 10, 2014

William and Mary enjoyed a string of successful performances Sunday. The men’s team defeated Springfield College, while the women came in second at a tri-meet at George Washington.

The College set a new program record on parallel bars with a score of 71.05 Sunday in its 420.45-407.1 victory at Springfield.

Senior Landon Funiciello led the Tribe individually, winning parallel bars and rings. Funiciello broke his own school record on parallel bars with a score of 15.15, but he fell shy of his school standard on rings, with a score of 15.9. Sophomore Neal Courter won in floor, vault and high bar.

Courter, Funiciello and junior James Jindra swept the top three places in floor, and the College posted a season-high score of 71.2. The College’s season-high score in pommel horse — totaling 70.55 — maximized junior Jason Wang’s third-place finish and sophomore Keaton Ackerman’s and junior Peter Ten Eyck’s season highs.

The women’s team broke the program’s vault record with a score of 49.025 en route to its second-place finish at the George Washington tri-meet.

Finishing with the sixth-best score in College history, the Tribe scored season highs on bars (48.625) and beam (48.525).

Individually, sophomore Brittany Stover broke the College’s vault record, winning with a score of 9.925. Stover’s performance, alongside two other Tribe career highs, propelled the College to a program-high score of 49.025.

Stover placed second in all-around, and her score of 39.075 placed her second-best in College history for all-around. Stover set the school standard last season at 39.150.

The women’s team competes in the Sweetheart Invitational at North Carolina State Saturday at 7 p.m., while the men’s team continues its season at 3 p.m. Sunday at Navy.

Football: Tribe in the Pros
Men’s Tennis: Head Coach Peter Daub’s Final Season
Alumni Focus: Marcus Thornton debuts with Celtics in Summer League action

Meredith Ramey

Meredith Ramey

Senior staff writer Meredith Ramey '15 is an English and History major from Longview, Tx. She was previously Editor-in-Chief, Managing Editor and News Editor.