Gymnastics: College women finish second in tri-meet, while men defeat Springfield

William and Mary enjoyed a string of successful performances Sunday. The men’s team defeated Springfield College, while the women came in second at a tri-meet at George Washington.

The College set a new program record on parallel bars with a score of 71.05 Sunday in its 420.45-407.1 victory at Springfield.

Senior Landon Funiciello led the Tribe individually, winning parallel bars and rings. Funiciello broke his own school record on parallel bars with a score of 15.15, but he fell shy of his school standard on rings, with a score of 15.9. Sophomore Neal Courter won in floor, vault and high bar.

Courter, Funiciello and junior James Jindra swept the top three places in floor, and the College posted a season-high score of 71.2. The College’s season-high score in pommel horse — totaling 70.55 — maximized junior Jason Wang’s third-place finish and sophomore Keaton Ackerman’s and junior Peter Ten Eyck’s season highs.

The women’s team broke the program’s vault record with a score of 49.025 en route to its second-place finish at the George Washington tri-meet.

Finishing with the sixth-best score in College history, the Tribe scored season highs on bars (48.625) and beam (48.525).

Individually, sophomore Brittany Stover broke the College’s vault record, winning with a score of 9.925. Stover’s performance, alongside two other Tribe career highs, propelled the College to a program-high score of 49.025.

Stover placed second in all-around, and her score of 39.075 placed her second-best in College history for all-around. Stover set the school standard last season at 39.150.

The women’s team competes in the Sweetheart Invitational at North Carolina State Saturday at 7 p.m., while the men’s team continues its season at 3 p.m. Sunday at Navy.