SA introduces Respect Act

February 14, 2014

Several Student Assembly senators introduced the Respect Act in response to the recent recognition of rape culture on the College’s campus in the senate meeting Tuesday. The resolution dictates that the SA will be involved with initiatives that aim to prevent the continuance of sexual aggression at the College.

“Our goal in this is to remind ourselves that we are the voices of the students, so we are within the resolution distancing ourselves a little bit from the administration and are coming right to the chase,” Sen. Shannon Caietti ’17 said. “I know a lot of students on campus, especially at the town hall, were saying in light of recent events people have done a lot of tiptoeing around the issue and in this resolution we didn’t really want to do that.”

Although some senators wished to move the bill from new business to old business in order to hold a vote, the bill was kept in old business, as the senate, overall, found the issue not to be time sensitive. The resolution will be reviewed in the policy and executive committees this coming Sunday.

Updated: Page claiming to represent white student union appears on Facebook
College student launches LGBTIQ history project
Liberty’s Ice Pavilion opens in Colonial Williamsburg

Madeline Bielski
  • Madeline Bielski

Managing Editor Madeline Bielski '17 is an International Relations major from Middleton, WI. She previously served as News Editor and Assoc. News Editor. Follow Madeline on Twitter @madEbielski.