Former student-athlete pleads not guilty, sets up jury trail

A panel presented TED-talk style speeches on of free speech in the media followed by a discussion. FILE PHOTO / THE FLAT HAT

A former William and Mary student-athlete pleaded not guilty to a sole charge of rape in the Williamsburg-James City County Circuit Court Wednesday. A jury trial will convene in late October.

Jaiven Treyvon Knight was charged April 22 with one felony count of rape. Major Greg Riley of the Williamsburg Police Department told the Williamsburg-Yorktown Daily that the charge stems from a Williamsburg house party. Court records list the offense date as Aug. 25, 2013.

According to Associate Vice President of Communications and University Relations Brian Whitson, Knight was enrolled as a freshman at the College before departing campus during the fall 2013 semester. School records indicate Knight is no longer enrolled.

Knight was recruited as a tight end from Durham, N.C. Pete Clawson, Senior Assistant Athletic Director, told the Williamsburg-Yorktown Daily in April that Knight practiced with the College’s football program during the 2013 fall camp. Clawson said Knight was on the team’s roster from July through August, but left the team in August. Knight did not appear in a game and is no longer listed on the roster.

The jury trail is set for 8:30 a.m. Oct. 30 in the Williamsburg-James City County Circuit Court.