Field Hockey: 2014 Season Primer

The 2014 field hockey season is set in stone, as the official dates for William and Mary’s games have been released. In the series of 18 games stretching from late August to mid-November, the College will face some familiar Colonial Athletic Association foes, three National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament teams, and opponents from major conferences such as the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Big Ten.

The Tribe has been training on and off the field in preparation for the season, and head coach Tess Ellis said the team has been working hard.

“We have challenged the girls all spring in the weight room and on the field,” Ellis told Tribe Athletics. “We’re ready to take on a tough schedule, facing nine top-25 teams and six in the first month of the season.

Ellis added that a successful season and the rewards that follow must be earned.

“If we’re going to return to the top 12 in the nation, we need to keep challenging ourselves in season and in the spring,” Ellis told Tribe Athletics.

The first week of classes ends with the first home game of the season, as the Tribe takes on Virginia Friday, August 29 at 4:30 p.m. Last year, the College upset the ranked Cavaliers in a thrilling 2-1 game, and they will try to extend their success to this season.