Women’s Soccer: Summer Recap

|

August 21, 2014

With a 2-0 victory in an Aug. 12 scrimmage against the University of Pittsburgh, William and Mary’s women’s soccer team commenced its 2014 campaign.

Both freshman midfielder Adrienne Maday and senior forward Emory Camper scored for the Tribe. The game, though, was not nearly as close as the score might suggest, as Pitt took only one shot on goal compared to the Tribe’s eight.

Camper was recently named to the preseason Colonial Athletic Association All-Conference team; she is joined on that list by senior defender Emily Frederickson and junior goalkeeper Caroline Casey. Camper led the Tribe in points last year, with 10 goals to go with 21 assists. Frederickson has been a solid force on the backline throughout her career, appearing in 58 contests. Casey has started every match as a member of the Tribe, posting a .091 goals-against percentage with a total of 74 saves and six shutouts last season.

The College is ranked No. 3 of 10 CAA teams. A season ago, the Tribe competed well within the conference, posting a 5-1-2 slate (8-2-7 overall). Last season ended in heartbreak, though, as the College fell to Northeastern in the CAA Championship by way of penalty kicks. Despite finishing second, the Tribe begins 2014 with a projected No. 4 finish, most likely due to the departure of key senior players.

The season begins with a three-game slate at George Mason, Maryland and George Washington in late August before opening at home vs. La Salle Sept. 4.

Editor’s Note: The Tribe defeated Radford 1-0 in a scrimmage August 14th.

Men’s soccer: Tribe drops competitive contest against UNC
Cross Country: Women second, men fifth in six team fields at Tribe Invitational
Women’s Soccer: Tribe falls to 4-5 after starting season 4-0

Sumner Higginbotham
  • Sumner Higginbotham

Flat Hat Sports Editor Sumner Higginbotham '16 is an accounting major from Altavista, Va.