Volleyball: Season comes to a close with split weekend

William and Mary split two games over the weekend, winning Friday against Northeastern in Boston and losing Sunday to Hofstra 3-0 in Long Island. The Tribe finished the season with a 7-24 overall record.

With its win Friday, the College took seventh place in the conference, just a seed below the Colonial Athletic Association tournament cutoff; however, the Tribe’s loss Sunday ended the season and dashed any hopes of postseason play.

Over the course of Friday’s game, junior Dessi Koleva compiled 12 kills and 17 digs in addition to a block and a pair of aces. Koleva now has over 900 career digs.

Northeastern took the first set 25-18. With the score tied at 14 in the second set, senior Liz Brown scored a kill and junior Mallory Brickerd served an ace to lead the Tribe’s 5-1 run. The College won the set 25-21.

Northeastern then took a 17-14 lead late in the third set but the Tribe responded, scoring seven consecutive points. Northeastern called two timeouts in an attempt to regain focus, but the Tribe remained strong and took the set, 25-21, for a 2-1 advantage.

The Tribe took a lead early in the fourth set. Although Northeastern attempted to retaliate, a key block by junior Carolyn Albright and Brickerd, coupled with and a service error by Northeastern, cinched another 25-21 set victory and a 3-1 match victory.

Koleva had six kills and eight digs Sunday against Hofstra. Freshman Sydney Biniak made five kills for a total of 156 kills in her first collegiate season. Sophomore Stephanie Paul had 11 assists and an ace. Brickerd and Brown each recorded five kills; Brickerd had an additional four digs and a block. Despite the individual success, Hofstra still managed the 3-0 match win.

With the regular season complete, the College awaits potential post-season honors.