Cross country: Men, no. 18 women both finish in top 10 at Princeton Inter-Regional

After winning the William and Mary Invitational two weeks ago, the Tribe traveled to New Jersey this weekend for the Princeton Inter-Regional, where the men took eighth place and the No. 18 women took sixth.

In the men’s 8,000-meter race, junior Faris Sakallah led the Tribe’s scores with a 30th place finish in a time of 24:30.4. Within nine seconds of Sakallah crossing the line, seniors Ryan Gousse and David Barney also finished, taking 36th and 39th respectively. Gousse crossed in 24:36.4, while Barney completed the course in 24:39.7.

Freshman Evan Woods and senior Nathaniel Hermsmeier rounded out the men’s scoring runners. Woods took 54th in 24:51.9, while Hermsmeier was six seconds behind him at 24:57.7 and came in 57th.

The Tribe men took eighth in the field of 11 with a score of 208. No. 19 Indiana took the team crown with 47 points while Duke’s Shaun Thompson took the individual title in 23:34.9.

On the women’s side, sophomore Regan Rome won the 6,000-meter race in 20:39.5. Less than one second behind her was senior Emily Stites in 20:39.6. Rome and Stites also finished in the top two places on September 18th in the Tribe’s home meet.

Despite taking gold and silver, the College women finished in sixth in the field of 12 with 129 points. The other scoring runners for the squad were senior Meghan McGovern in 15th at 21:20.4, senior Carolyn Hennessey in 59th at 22:15.7, and sophomore Molly Breidenbaugh a step behind in 60th at 22:15.9.

The hosts of the event, No. 28 Princeton, took the women’s team title with 80 points.

Next Friday the Tribe heads to Madison, Wisc. to take part in one of the season’s largest invitationals, the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational. Some members of the team will also head to Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Va. on Saturday, Oct. 17 for the CNU Invitational.

Flat Hat Sports Editor Nick Cipolla contributed to this article.